Article Evaluation (from bicycling)
Why Johnny Can’t Ride Questions
“The Fight to Let Kids Ride to School.” Why Johnny Can’t Ride. bicycling.com, 2009. Web. 11 May 2012. <http://www.bicycling.com/news/advocacy/why-johnny-cant-ride?page=0,0>.
2. A lot of research went into the article. The surroundings of where Johnny and his family lived were described in detail, and there were even specific quotes from the family about their hometown. This definitely qualified the journalist’s work more and it provided credibility to his article. A background to Johnny’s medical conditions and his entire life was fully established, and his school teachers/ and statistics were given as well.
3. The journalist believes that the obesity rate for kids across the nation is soaring; therefore he has a bias towards the school district for not permitting Johnny to ride his bike. This is because he believes if kids are trying to get exercise we should be letting them due to the major weight issues across the globe.
4. Even though the article is biased, it’s pretty effective. It provides good judgment, sources, opinions, and direct/ indirect quotes from the story. It also had an emotional appeal that made me feel connected to Johnny and his issue; he really seems like he deserves to at least ride his bike, it’s not that great of a request.
5. The article is effectively persuasive because it’s convinced me that Johnny should be given the chance to ride his bike. Not only that, but he’s not the only one who enjoys to ride his bike to school either. It’s a good form of exercise, and it’s making him and others happy. Why take that away from these kids? It seems like this issue has a simple solution.
6. The visuals provide a great amount of imagery, and it contributes to my imagination of when I’m picturing Johnny with his bike problem. It also makes me feel a little more for the kids because they’re all so young, they really don’t seem like they’re asking for much.
7. This article teaches me that finding the facts, and really digging down deep to make sure every detail is there, provides a better sense of your topic to your audience. The article was also more enjoyable when there was more emotion applied to it; it made the overall tone of the article more appealing. I want my articles to be more appealing visually and conceptually like this one.